Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally I've been wanting to read Catching Jordan since before they changed the name from Score. The cover was adorable and the blurb had me hankering to read it. Now, after having read it, I can totally confirm that Catching Jordan is an amazing book! :DThe characters of Catching Jordan were fantastic! Jordan was an amazing heroine, and she was so strong...physically and psychologically. Just in case you aren't sure about what I mean with psychologically there (and I don't blame you, I'm even a little unsure :P), I mean that she knows what she wants, and she has her mind made up. That being said, she also knows when it's time to change her mind and be open for those changes. Jordan's football teammates were awesome! I loved her relationship with the guys. They respected her, and they were her best friends. It was also pretty adorable when they would stand up for her. Her relationship with her brother was awesome, too. My brother and I are definitely not that close...and I think maybe that's a good thing. I don't really want to start talking about boys with him. :P Anyway, I loved Jordan, and her friends...and now onto her love interests. Oh, Ty, well Ty was gorgeous, sweet, and I liked how his relationship with Jordan changed. I won't tell you those changes, so you'll have to read about them. Then there was Henry. I loved him as her best friend, and again, I'll let you all read the book to see what happens there. :PThe story itself was...awesome. Honestly, it's hard to describe just how different this book is from others out there. Most YA books with sports, football in particular, are male-centric, or if there is a female lead, she's usually a cheerleader or an outcast who loves or pines after a football player. Catching Jordan was completely different. Jordan is the starting quarterback and captain on her high school's football team. It was so inspiring to have such a strong female character who was so determined to do what she loved and be seen as an equal. She also stood up for herself, which was fantastic. Another amazing thing was that this book didn't just focus on romance. I love stories that have relationships in their forefront that aren't just romantic ones, and Catching Jordan had familial and amicable relationships (minus the romance) in spades. One relationship in particular that stood out to me was Jordan's relationship with her father. It made me so sad because it was so strained at the beginning of the book, but I loved seeing their relationship change and seeing them grow closer.One thing I will warn readers about is that there is sex in this book. It isn't vividly described, but it is mentioned a lot, and quite casually, so I'm not sure if that aspect of the book will appeal to everyone. The flippancy that the characters had for sex was one of the few things that kind of turned me off (no pun intended :P). It just seemed like no one really took it seriously. Maybe that's just my romantic side rearing its head, but it kind of stood out to me, so I wanted to mention it. Now, I will say that it didn't really change how I felt about the book. The characters and the story itself were still amazing, and I think that the book still carries a strong message. Actually several strong messages. It stressed equality, and how being one gender shouldn't stop you from doing what you love even if it isn't "normal" for you to be doing it. A girl can play football, and it shouldn't matter that she's a girl, only that she's skilled. It stresses equality, respect, and following your dreams. It stresses standing up for yourself, and realizing when you're letting other people control you.Catching Jordan is amazing. It's a powerful story, and will stick with you long after you've read it. Okay, now here come the lame football jokes that I've been holding back. Just as you Remember the Titans (amazing movie, btw), you will remember Catching Jordan, and you can be sure this book will score a touchdown with you. Okay, maybe you can't be sure, but I hope that if you guys do check it out, you like it as much as I did. I definitely recommend Catching Jordan, especially if you're looking for a contemporary YA that's one of a kind. :)So, have you read Catching Jordan yet? Are you thinking about it? Does it sound good?Did my lame football jokes fumble? *haha I did it again****This review was originally posted on my blog, Burning.x.Impossibly.x.Bright.---I was provided with an egalley of Catching Jordan through NetGalley in order to participate in the blog tour, this did not influence my review.