Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck I won't lie, I hated the beginning of this book. It took me at least a third of the book before I could actually get into it and enjoy the story. Part of this might be that I prefer a more forward writing style and part of it was most definitely the topic. During my grade 12 year, all we read were stories with depressing topics, we were all convinced the school board wanted us to be depressed because of it. Anyways, after I got past the parts that I struggled through, I really grew to enjoy this book. The characters, while facing the same situation in the big picture, all seem to struggle with their own independent problems. You get to know them, know what they like, what their habits are, and you see them, most of them anyways, do almost anything to support their family. They struggle relentlessly to stay together, and I couldn't help but feel sympathy for them because of it. The ending was shocking to say the least, but underneath the shock was such strength, and to be honest, a beauty. A beauty that mankind could be willing to go to such lengths to help one another, despite not even knowing those they are helping. I found myself so into this book that by the end of it I had tears in my eyes. I'm a pretty easy crier, but I have to enjoy something to get to that state, so I can say I definitely enjoyed this book. Unfortunately, it's still only going to get 3 stars from me because the beginning put me off so much, but once you get past that, it's an amazing story.