Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death - Bethany Griffin I was so excited to read Masque of the Red Death, and it completely lived up to and surpassed my expectations! :D I absolutely loved this story. I loved how it played on Edgar Allan Poe's short story, and how it branched into its own story, too. :)I think the best part of this book was the way things were described. From the clothes to the people all around Araby (psst...weird, yet great name also :P), it was all described in such fantastic ways. At times things almost seemed surreal, which I felt kind of played into Araby's lifestyle...at the beginning of the book she was quite the party animal. Additionally, I thought that the introduction to Masque of the Red Death was AMAZING! It hooked me right away and I didn't want to stop reading...so I didn't until I finished. :PI also really enjoyed Araby's character. She definitely has flaws, but she's aware of them, and I think that they give her a lot of room as a character to grow...which I'm really looking forward to seeing! :D Along with Araby, I adored Will! He was, hands down!, my favourite part of the book. I loved that his character went from being so mysterious, to having aspects of his life revealed...and I really, really enjoyed getting to know more about him because he was fantastic!Continuing with the characters, as mentioned I loved some... and didn't like others. I'm sure once you read the book you can reason out which one I didn't like based on the fact that I've just said I loved Will. :P The one thing I was kind of disappointed with in this book was the love triangle. *sigh* I really wasn't expecting a love triangle, or for the false triangle to blossom into a real one, but of course...it did. I'm actually getting pretty fed up with love triangles personally, especially when it seems like it isn't going to end up being one at all. It's a major disappointment. However, even with the love triangle, I still completely loved this book...I just would've preferred it not having one. Fingers crossed that it's summed up nicely in the next one. ;POverall, I loved Masque of the Red Death! It was imaginative, intense, and wonderfully descriptive. Bethany Griffin has crafted a wonderful story, and I really look forward to reading more books, especially the sequel...Dance of the Red Death! I'd recommend this one to fans of Poe because I think they'd like to see how Griffin has brought his short story into Masque of the Red Death. Also, I'd recommend it to fans of realistic narrators with real flaws. ;)