Everneath

Everneath - Everneath is an amazing debut, and it's the start of what will surely be a fantastic trilogy. Told in one point of view, but from alternative points of time, it crafts an addictive story. One where you're desperate to discover what has brought Nikki to the place she's at. At first, I wasn't really sure about Nikki. She doesn't really have much personality at the beginning of the book...although as you get further into the story this makes a lot more sense, but underneath her stone facade you learn things about her that compel you to keep reading, even if you're not really sure about her just yet. Plus, Nikki happens to have two fabulous boys who revolve around her throughout her story. Cole, the bad boy from the Everneath, and Jack, her ex-boyfriend. As a narrator, I think that Nikki grows, partially because you get to see her become stronger, and also because you get to see her reasoning for the things she's done. She definitely acted impulsively in her past, but I couldn't help but respect her for the choices she was making. She was trying to do the right thing, and she didn't care if she was the one who suffered as a result of her choice. She took the blame for her poor choices, and I think that shows a lot of strength. I also liked how certain characters had different names for her. Cole called her Nik, while her best friend, Jules, and Jack called her Becks. I think that part appealed to the side of me that's always wanted a cool nickname...and Nikki has a couple, which let's face it, means she must be awesome. :P Also, the more you get to know her, you see that she really is awesome. She has faults, but she recognizes them, and she fights to try and overcome her problems. I also loved her sense of humour. :)I'm really not sure which boy I prefer after reading Everneath. I definitely love me some Cole. He's addictive, and I have to say that he appealed to me. You don't actually get to see all that much of Jack in the first part of the book, other than from Nikki's memories, so it's pretty easy to be taken in by Cole...and you really don't mind when it happens, as I've said, he's pretty appealing. ;) I can't wait to see how Nikki's story evolves in the following books and I'm excited to see how the boys fit into the story, too. One of the major things that I loved about Everneath was how Brodi Ashton wove myths into it. I'm always fascinated by stories involving mythology, and Brodi took Greek myths in very interesting ways. :D She didn't just take one myth...no, she interwove several myths and manipulated them to fit her story, plus, her whole "Daughters of Persephone" thing reminded me of the mysterious cult that used to worship Demeter and Persephone. They had initiation ceremonies called Eleusinian Mysteries every year, and I liked being reminded me of that because I thought it was so fascinating when I studied it. :D Anyway, I think that Brodi brings myth into her story in ways that myth-fanatics and newbies-to-myth alike can enjoy. She brings a fresh perspective, and reworks them in ways where there is definite plausibility...and I don't know about anyone else, but I love the possibility of mythology being real....at least most myths. :PI'd recommend Everneath to pretty much everyone. If you like paranormal stories with a twinge of mystery, then you'll love it. If you like mythology, you'll love it...and if you love any story involving some hot boys, well then, yes, you will also love it. :) Everneath is a captivating story with a heroine who faces a daunting future, but is still determined to do the right thing, and not give it. I loved this story, and as a narrator, Nikki really won me over. :)**This review was originally posted on my blog, Burning.x.Impossibly.x.Bright.**I received an ARC of Everneath for an honest review, this did not affect my review, and all opinions are my own.