The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Wow...this book was amazing. There were so many subjects in it that made your really think, and empathize with the characters. It's seriously such a moving story. Charlie has such a unique voice, and his perspective is so innocent, yet convoluted at the same time. I'm just in awe of this book. It's told in the format of letters to an anonymous person, addressed as "Dear friend" in the letters and Charlie isn't even really the main character's name...and all of the characters' names aren't their names either! I think that the anonymity really changes your whole perspective on the book, and it allows Charlie to be so open about everything that he says. The letters also add such a personal effect, and you feel as if you're the anonymous person that Charlie's chosen to write to (even though he clearly is writing to a guy, I still felt like I was the one being addressed). I found Charlie's voice so touching, and so honest. I couldn't help but be moved by everything in the story. It touches on serious topics, and some taboo things that people don't always want to hear about...even though we all know they're there, but I really appreciated Charlie's perspective. He treats the reader as a friend, and when something is unclear he clarifies for you. In some cases, you know more of what something means than Charlie, and I think his innocent perspective in those cases really make the story even more powerful. I wanted to read this even before I knew they were making it into a movie, but I'm so glad that the film is coming out and has pushed me to read it before I see the film. It'll be interesting how the filmmakers choose to adapt this book to film though. It covers a lot of serious subject matter, and the format could be tricky, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they've done with it. I'd definitely recommend this book, even if you aren't planning on seeing the film. This story is incredibly touching, and will definitely challenge your perspectives and make you think about how you live you life. Do you sit back or do you stand out?