Rock On: A Story of Guitars, Gigs, Girls, and a Brother (Not Necessarily in That Order)

Rock On - Denise Vega I've mentioned that I love music, so I pretty much jump at the chance to read anything music-related that I can get my hands on, and in the case of Rock On, I'm extremely glad that I did! :DOne thing that I absolutely loved about Rock On was that it was from a teen boy's perspective, which I found really interesting...I also absolutely loved Ori (or Orion) and his passion for music! :D Ori was pretty much a prodigy and had been playing guitar for years. I was never a prodigy myself and only played the saxophone for a brief while, but Ori's passion totally made me wish that I could play like that...or that I had actually tried to learn to play better. :P I also loved that Rock On didn't stick to one type of storytelling. Instead there were blog posts and updates for the band through the Battle of the Bands website, which I thought was a fantastic touch! I especially loved that you could see the comments of the people visiting their site...it made me wish that it was an interactive website that I could've actually checked out. :P There were also flashbacks, which I didn't enjoy as much as the blog, but they were alright. I found the switch to a different type of perspective a bit strange, but I did like getting to see into Ori's past and to see how his relationship with his brother, Del, was like before.My favourite part about Rock On was Ori himself. I just loved his character. I did want to nudge him in the right direction every once in a while though. :P His relationship with his brother, Del, was probably the biggest conflict throughout the book, and like one of his best friends, Allie, I just wanted him to talk to his brother and work things out. His brother was kind of a big butthead, but being closer to Del in age, I could totally understand why he was acting out. It still didn't justify it though. I really felt for the two brothers, and I liked that the conflict between them was realistic. It added a completely different side to the story, one that I didn't really expect to be so prominent, but still thoroughly enjoyed. I also really liked the side characters, and getting to see Ori stop being so awkward with girls. It was great seeing him get out of his shell. :)Overall, I really liked Rock On. I thought that it was an interesting perspective on music, and I liked that it was unique. I've definitely never read another story that was anything like this one. I especially enjoyed the characters. Not only was Ori a great main character, but the supporting characters were fantastic as well. Right from all of their entrances, each of the characters were so fully defined, and I thought that was fabulous. :D I'd recommend this one if you like music, and if you're into stories that cover all the bases from romance to sibling drama, to stage fright, to trying to come into yourself and out of your sibling's shadow.